Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth

Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth
To take this picture, I used the zoom so it might not completely show the depth (for the weekly photo challenge). But it was quite steep and we were a couple of meters above the sea. And as a funny note – the stairs you can see on the picture ended somewhere in the nowhere of the cliff. Maybe there was some use for the stairs in former times, but neither my mother nor I could figure out for what reasons (well, apart from giants :) planning to conquer Mallorca who are able to overcome the three-meters difference to the platform we took the picture from – and not to forget the additional wall that was built to secure tourists from falling).

The first Renfrew that will be worn outside home

Sewaholic Renfrew 2015-01-06_05
All good things come in threes. Well, now I did all kind of necklines available (View C). I really like that kind of collar, I already own some deeply loved, but bought pullover.

While sewing this shirt, I was particular careful. I do not have a serger, but I finished all my seems with the overlock stitch my sewing machine offers (which works fine). I used the correct needles (yeah, I have to admit that I used a universal needle before) and found out that it is indeed better to work with the matching needle. Another late than never moment…
Sewaholic Renfrew 2015-01-06_07
And I figured out the right distance from the sleeve seam for the twin needle. You wouldn’t recognize a difference to any bought shirt (as long as you do not look at the inside, but I don’t have any plans to ever wear this shirt inside-outside ;) ). I rather have to say that I wore it already at work together with black trousers and it felt great.

Look what was in my mail today

sewing label 02
I saw so many personal sewing labels out there (bought or self-made) so I decided that I need some as well. I made my own design and ordered them at a company that offers several types of labels. I chose Satinera from Dortex as I was able to use my design. They arrived within one week and I am thrilled how nice they turned out.
sewing label 01
The first one has already been used for the latest me-made – so here is a little preview:
Sewing Preview

Next Renfrew with Small Shoulder Adjustment

Sewaholic Renfrew 2015-01-06_03As mentioned with my first Renfrew Shirt, for the next Sewaholic Renfrew I made a small shoulder adjustment. I used the tutorial from Coletterie. I chose this method as it would not change the length of armhole, only the curve. Well, I followed the tutorial not exactly. I tried first with marking the seam allowance and somehow it did not work as described. I don’t know why, but when I ignored the step with marking the seam allowance, it worked for me at least. And so I was able to remove 1cm shoulder width (click to enlarge the pictures).
2014-11-15 Small Shouder_01   2014-11-15 Small Shouder_02 2014-11-15 Small Shouder_03I will try the tutorial exactly with another pattern, but not for the Renfrew pattern. When I tried my “quick&dirty” attempt, the sewing result was beautiful. Now the shoulders are really fine. I used what was left from the previous shirt and bought some other green fabric with cute penguins to make a nice pyjama shirt (in case my small shoulder adjustment would have failed, it would still be wearable).

I also tried the twin needle (for the very first time) instead of the sleeve cuff. This will be my preferred method in the future. There will be some cuffs though (e.g. as color contrast with a short sleeve). My twin seam is quite narrow to the edge, so note to myself to change this the next time. The zig-zag stitching around the V-neck was not that nice than the last time. And I also made a little mistake with the V-neck but my mother thought that these little wrinkles were on purpose, so let’s leave it that way…
Sewaholic Renfrew 2015-01-06_02

Weekly Photo Challenge: Shadowed

“For this week’s Photo Challenge, find the shadows. You can choose a literal interpretation and shoot an actual shadow, or you can play with the light and dark, and create a moody scene, or capture your subject in a rich and interesting way.”

I chose play with light and dark, which was quite easy with christmas decoration outside. I took these pictures a few days ago while I was playing with aperture and out-of-focus.
Shadowed - Weekly Photo Challenge 3
Shadowed - Weekly Photo Challenge 2
Shadowed - Weekly Photo Challenge 1

Christmas Decoration – a post-christmas summary

This year, I decorated the table first – I bought some additional christmas baubles and filled them up and now it looks like this:
DSC00997
After that, I discovered a lovely idea for christmas trees made out of pine cones. I collected quite few at the end of November and so I was eager to try it.
DSC00939
I used stable packing paper to form the tree frame (the same paper which I also use for drafting my own patterns :) ). I started first with normal glue but soon realized that it might take ages to finish the tree. Thus I decided to buy a hot-melt gun. It was so much easier then. Apart from the one time when one of this stupid bracts did not want to glue to the tree, but decided to drop and to fall onto my thumb (even though I was so careful and used a forceps to get as much distance between the glue and my fingers). And then I realized how hot the hot glue can be. Ouch! However, look how nice my christmas trees are!
DSC01131
And this cute wreath is the decoration for my living room table. I bought it last year on sale.
DSC00996